Chef George Doumaney from Portsmouth Publick House stopped by the set today to show us how to make Falafel Sliders.
For the Falafel:
- 2 cups Dry Chickpeas (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 Medium Onion, chopped coarse
- 3 Cloves Garlic, diced and mixed with salt and a little oil
- 2 tsp. Allspice
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 cup Pitted Olives (I use a blend of kalamata and green)
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper (coarse)
- 3 Tbsp. Chopped Parsley.
- Canola Oil to fry
For the Sliders:
- Slider-Size Brioche Rolls
- Mixed Greens
- Sliced Tomato
- Add garlic and onion to food processor and pulse until mixture is finely ground, then add drained chickpeas and pulse until they are broken into smaller chunks.
- Add the olives, salt, black pepper, cumin, parsley and allspice. Process until the mixture is finely chopped but not pureed.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, portion out mixture and shape into round balls. Note: If this is for a meal and not an appetizer, then make balls about 2 inches in size.
- Fry balls in Canola oil until golden brown.
There are several applications you can use these for. I make little burger sliders out of them by putting them in a brioche roll and topping it with hummus, or they can be used as a substitute meat ball. You can also just snack on them. Be creative!
About the Restaurant:
Portsmouth Publick House
600 Clock Tower Sq.
Portsmouth, R.I. 02871
Free Chicken Wings On Wednesdays from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.