Cause of death determined for Coventry fire victim

COVENTRY, R.I. (WPRI) – An elderly man who was found dead at the scene of a house fire Sunday night died of smoke inhalation and thermal burns, the health department has confirmed.

Firefighters responded to the Knotty Oak Road home around 7:15 on Sunday evening.

“We had a well-involved structure fire, three-quarters of the structure was involved when we first pulled up on scene,” said Coventry Fire Chief Paul Labbadia.

While crews were fighting the flames they found the man’s body. Officials say it appeared he was trying to escape from the burning home.

The victim’s name has not yet been released. Investigators believe a wood stove in the basement sparked the flames.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s