WESTPORT Mass. (WPRI) – One of the two Westport firefighters injured while battling a house fire Thursday night was still recovering at Rhode Island Hospital as of Friday evening.
Officials said members of the fire department responded to 153 American Legion Highway just before 8 p.m. Thursday for a reported chimney fire. While working on the roof, firefighter Steven Lopes, 47, slipped on ice and fell approximately 30 feet to the ground.
A second firefighter, Robert Manchester, 41, attempted to stop Lopes from falling and fell himself. He landed on a first-floor dormer about 10 feet below and was pulled to safety through a second-floor window.
Lopes was treated by firefighters on scene before being transported to RI Hospital in critical condition with multiple traumatic injuries, officials said. Manchester was taken to Charlton Memorial Hospital and was treated and released.
“It was just one of those bad circumstances where a bunch of bad things came together at once,” said Deputy Fire chief Allen Manley.
Though the incident remains under investigation, investigators believe the ice on the roof came from water sprayed by an occupant of the home who was attempting to put out the fire.