BURRILLVILLE, R.I. (WPRI) – Delaware State Police Trooper David Huynh was one of nearly 1,000 first responders who traveled to Rhode Island on Thursday to wish Tyler Seddon a happy seventh birthday.
What set Trooper Huynh apart from the rest, however, is that he could relate to what Tyler was going through.
Huynh, like Tyler, dreamed about becoming a police officer. Like Tyler, Huynh just wanted to drive his own police car and wear the same badge as his heroes. And, like Tyler, Huynh had to fight through cancer before he could get there.
- How you can help: Send Tyler a card, donate
- Photos: Tyler’s Birthday Celebration
- Video: Eyewitness video shot throughout the day
- Related: Residents donate blood to help
- Related: First responders look to make sick boy’s birthday special
- Learn more & become a donor: Be The Match
“It took me ten years to figure out I wanted to be a trooper, and the moment I found out I had cancer, that’s when I realize [how badly] I wanted to become a trooper,” Huynh said. “That was my motivation to beat cancer.”
Susan Campbell spoke with Trooper Huynh after Tyler’s massive birthday celebration Thursday morning. Click play on the video above to hear what he had to say.