PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — One of the three suspects in a triple murder in Providence learned his fate after pleading guilty to the crime.
Timothy DeBritto was sentenced to 40 years in prison in the July 2012 shooting deaths of Damien Colon, 22, Shemeeka Barros, 22, Michael Martin, 23.
He pleaded guilty to three counts of second-degree murder Friday. He had previously pleaded not guilty to three counts of first-degree murder.
Prosecutors said in court the shooting was planned in advance, and that Martin was the intended target. Victim Damien Colon’s grandmother spoke eloquently to a packed courtroom on Friday.
“Timothy DeBritto, it is beyond words how much pain and anguish and grief you have put on my family,” she said.
At the time of his sentencing, DeBritto was already serving a 50-year sentence for the shooting of Gary Ellerbe in 2012. That sentence was decreased to 30 years and will run concurrently with his new sentence.
Also charged in connection with the 2012 triple murder case are Russell Burrell and Quandell Husband and Donovann Hall.
Burrell, 18, admitted in November to shooting the three victims. He potentially faces six consecutive life terms, but he has not yet been officially sentenced.
Husband, who was 16 at the time of the crime but is being tried as an adult, pleaded not guilty last March. He is being held without bail.
Hall pleaded guilty last March to helping to plan the robbery. His sentencing date has not yet been scheduled.