(WPRI) — A Providence chef is in the running to receive the culinary world’s highest honor.
Matt Jennings, chef at Farmstead, Inc., received a James Beard Foundation award nomination for Best Chef Northeast. The region covers Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island and New York State (New York City has its own category).
According to the James Beard Foundation’s website, Jennings is competing against five other chefs, including:
- Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa, Boston
- Joanne Chang, Flour Bakery + Café, Boston
- Gerry Hayden, The North Fork Table & Inn, Southold, NY
- Michael Leviton, Lumière, Newton, MA
- Barry Maiden, Hungry Mother, Cambridge, MA
According to our news partners at The Providence Journal, it’s not the first nomination for Jennings. He received nods in 2011 and 2012.
The awards gala will be at Lincoln Center in New York City on May 5.