More injuries reported from liquid laundry packets

(WPRI) – Soon after an infant died from swallowing soap from a laundry detergent pod, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is alerting caregivers and parents of the household danger.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), there have been more than 1,200 reports of children unintentionally injuring themselves with liquid laundry detergent packets.

The poison help line reported even more injuries, as they received nearly 18,000 calls regarding the packets. Reported injuries include young children swallowing the detergent or getting the chemical in their eyes or on their skin.

The CPSC is also pushing manufacturers of these packets to build more safety restrictions such as switching to containers that are more difficult to open. Some manufacturers have made changes to the color of the pods, making them opaque and less bright, which is less attractive to curious little hands.

Until regulations are changed, the CPSC says to keep both laundry and dish washing packets far from a child’s reach.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s