We’re in the kitchen today with Chef Jake Rojas of Tallulah on Thames in Newport, RI. He will be demonstrating how to make Miso and Harissa Glazed Pork Belly, Slow Egg, and Crispy Brussels Sprout Leaves for the Stars Chef Awards!
Ingredients: yields 6 portions
Brined Pork Belly:
- 1 liter water
- 60 grams kosher salt
- 20 grams pink curing salt
- 35 grams sugar
- 1 pork belly weighing 1 kilo
Slow Eggs: 6 ea
Miso-Harissa-Maple Glaze: 150 g
- 80 grams rice wine vinegar
- 60 grams maple syrup
- 20 grams miso
- 4 grams harissa
Togarashi-spiced Fried Brussels Sprout Leaves: 20 ea brussel sprouts
- Frying oil
- 1 kilogram Brussels sprouts, trimmed and leaves separates
- 5 grams togarashi
- 3 grams salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the Brined Pork Belly:
- In a medium pot, combine water, salts, and sugar.
- Simmer until solids dissolve.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add pork belly to a nonreactive container, and cover with brine.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
For Miso-Harissa-Maple Glaze:
- In a medium saucepot, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until glaze is achieved.
For Slow Egg:
- Heat water bath of an immersion circulator to 63.5ºC.
- Add eggs to bath and cook sous vide 28 minutes.
- Remove eggs from bath and rest at room temperature 5 minutes before peeling.
For Togarashi-spiced Fried Brussels Sprout Leaves:
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 205ºC.
- In batches, fry Brussels sprouts leaves until crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Season with togarashi, salt, and lemon zest.
Pork belly Cooking method:
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove belly from brine, rise under cold water, and pat dry.
- Season with white pepper, and put in a roasting pan.
- Add enough water to cover half of belly and cover with foil.
- Put in oven and roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and drop oven to 250 degrees.
- Roast for 3 more hours or until fork tender.
- Cool belly for 1 hour and then apply a weighted press and press for 4 hours.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Cut belly into 180-200 g portion.
- Season and sear on medium heat till hot and crispy on the outside.
- Spoon glaze over top and let rest.
- Garnish belly with Brussels sprout leaves and sprinkle togarashi over.
See the video above for details on how to prepare these recipes perfectly!