One year later: Tribute planned to honor marathon victims, survivors

(AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

BOSTON (WPRI) – Security is tight in Boston and spirits are high, as the one-year mark since the twin bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon approaches.

City officials are planning to honor the three victims who were killed and over 250 who were injured near the finish line on April 15, 2013.

Runners in this year’s Boston Marathon will take their marks next Monday, April 21, but a ceremony will be held on Tuesday of this week to remember the victims of last year’s bombings.

That ceremony will begin Tuesday at noon at Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center. It will include a procession down Boylston Street, followed by a moment of silence. At exactly 2:49 p.m. – the moment the first bomb exploded last year – every church in the city of Boston will ring its bells.

The tribute will feature Vice President Joe Biden and a host of state leaders. During the event, officials will honor those who lost lives, the survivors, and first responders.

Yusuf Muhammad says the event is symbolic of the now famous slogan ‘Boston Strong’.

“This year we’re going to show that we will not be deterred regardless of the actions of a few. This is a city that has a history of ups and downs but has always rebounded,” he said.

Days before the race and hours before the ceremony, there’s a sense of togetherness at, and near the site of so much tragedy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s