8 transported to hospital after CO leak in Fall River home

FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — Several Fall River residents were transported to the hospital Friday to be evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to Fall River’s deputy fire chief, rescue crews took several people from a home on Ridge Street just before 11 a.m. There were two adults and six children in the home at the time, though only one adult felt severe symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“They responded, they found high levels of carbon monoxide, they called the gas company which is standard procedure. At that time, they also discovered that some of the residents were ill with possible carbon monoxide poisoning,” said District Chief William Pappas.

Firefighters believe there was a problem with the heater in the basement and gas worked its way up through the house. CO detectors were triggered on the second floor, as officials later discovered the detectors located on the first floor had dead batteries.

According to fire officials, the house had CO levels of 80 and 35 parts per million, which is considered dangerous. The gas company has restricted access to the house until the heater in the basement is fixed.

The residents were evaluated at Saint Anne’s Hospital.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s