(WPRI) – A horrifying accident is raising new concerns about the safety of inflatable bounce houses here in Rhode Island.
According to police in South Glens Falls, New York, three children were playing in a bounce house on Monday when it somehow broke free and flew about 15 feet into the air.
Two boys, ages 5 and 6, fell from the house and were seriously injured. A 10-year-old girl who was also inside sustained minor injuries.
Jennifer North of Bouncing Around, a company located in North Scituate, has been renting out these children’s toys for three years. “I’ve never, ever seen this happen before. I’m actually pretty puzzled as to how it actually did happen,” she said.
North demonstrated to Eyewitness News how the 18-24 inch stakes are used in all four corners to keep the bounce house grounded. Larger units get even more anchors, she said.
“We push on it to make sure it doesn’t go anywhere and get inside and jump in it to make sure it’s secure,” said North.
The bounce houses do come with limitations and warnings that are listed on the front flap. According to the listed limitations, if wind gusts reach more than 25 miles per hour, the unit must be taken down and the children must be told to leave the bounce house.
Police in New York are calling this a tragic accident. The house that was used was a non-professional version meant for home use.