BOSTON (WPRI) — The fathers of two men shot to death in Boston in 2012 spoke out Thursday after former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez was charged with their murders.
Ernesto Abreau and Salvador Furtado brought photos of their sons to the news conference, along with a photo of the grave site where the two young men were buried together.
- Read More: Aaron Hernandez Indicted in 2012 Double Murder
- Related: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez
The two men spoke little English, but Attorney William Kennedy spoke on their behalf and thanked Boston Police and prosecutors.
“The two young men that were killed here were special people. They were two young men who had come to this country to make a better life for themselves much like their fathers had,” he said. “They were very good friends, they were the best of friends, they had gone to school in Cape Verde together, they had been in the service in Cape Verde together, they had worked together.”
The indictment announced Thursday claims Hernandez pulled up to the victims’ car in Boston’s South End and opened fire – just hours after they were at the same club together. Investigators said they found the SUV with Rhode Island plates that Hernandez was allegedly driving at the time hidden in a relative’s garage in Bristol, Conn., as well as the murder weapon.
Hernandez is currently being held at the Bristol County House of Corrections on murder charges in connection with the June 2013 shooting death of Odin Lloyd in North Attleboro.