PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — The tenants of a multi-family residence in Pawtucket are picking up the pieces after their homes were damaged by fire Thursday night.
Fourteen people were displaced after the Garden Street triple-decker was damaged in the fire, which fire officials said was caused by a grill on a porch.
Now, residents are working to salvage any belongings they can from the home.
Mirian Monteiro was there Friday helping her uncle clean out his second-floor apartment. He lives there with his girlfriend and four children, and some of them were home when the fire started.
“Basically everything was burnt and water-damaged from the water that they had to put out, so basically the only things we saved is some clothes, some blankets, some of the kids’ clothes, things like that,” she said. “I’m just glad everybody’s okay.”
Officials said the building is not a total loss.
One firefighter was injured while fighting the flames, and has since been treated and released from the hospital.