FALL RIVER, Mass. (WPRI) — Lawyers for Aaron Hernandez Tuesday filed a motion in Bristol County Superior Court, asking the judge to order prosecutors to hand over a key piece of evidence – the original hard drives seized from the home video surveillance system at Hernandez’s North Attleboro home.
Prosecutors said Hernandez was captured on the home surveillance system holding a gun the day Odin Lloyd was murdered in June 2013.
According to the documents, the state has already given the defense copies of the surveillance recordings. However, the defense said it wants to inspect the original hard drive to make sure the copies they’ve received match.
The defense claims some of the files they were provided were cut off, skip without explanation, or were blank.
Meantime, prosecutors in a 2012 double murder case out of Boston have handed over hundreds of pieces of evidence to Hernandez’s defense team.
Court documents, made public Monday, detail the 272 pieces of evidence the state has provided the defense as part of the discovery phase of the trial, including photos, police reports and grand jury minutes.
Hernandez was indicted last month of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. Prosecutors say Hernandez shot the men after one of the victims bumped into him a nightclub earlier in the evening and did not apologize.
- In-Depth: Aaron Hernandez Investigation
- Related: Spilled drink may have lead to double murder
- Related: The rise and fall of Aaron Hernandez
According to the documents, the grand jury which handed up the indictment met more than two dozen times. All but two of those meetings happened after Hernandez was implicated in Lloyd’s death.
While authorities have not said if there was any connection between the 2012 killings and Lloyd’s murder, Hernandez surfaced as a suspect in the Boston homicides after being charged by Bristol County authorities in the Lloyd death. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty in both cases.