38 Studios: Carcieri among 30 depositions scheduled

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – Former Rhode Island Gov. Don Carcieri is among 30 individuals scheduled to be deposed over the next two months by attorneys for the defendants in the state’s civil suit against the architects of the failed 38 Studios deal, lawyers said Friday.

The final day for the discovery phase of the litigation is Aug. 15 and Superior Court Judge Michael Silverstein declined to extend the deadline for depositions by two weeks during a two-hour pre-trial hearing Friday morning.

The Chafee administration is suing former Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, former Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation director Keith Stokes and 12 others involved in the 38 studios deal, which brought Schilling’s game company to Rhode Island in 2010 in exchange for a $75-million taxpayer-guaranteed loan. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2012.

Lawyers for the defendants have said they aren’t sure they’ll be able to complete all the depositions before the Aug. 15 deadline, in part because many of them have taken two days, according to Gerald Petros, an attorney for First Southwest.

Petros said about 18 individuals have been deposed so far and another 30 are scheduled by the deadline, including Carcieri and former House Speaker Gordon Fox. Silverstein declined to quash a subpoena for testimony from Fox earlier this month.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s