Now that the winter is behind us and children are beginning to wind down from school, parents start to think about what we can do this summer. Not every family has the money to plan a week-long vacation.
However, there are many places for day trips, or even weekend trips throughout New England. You can take a day trip that will not break the bank or empty your purse. Here are some suggestions on some places you can visit with your family this year.
- Rhode Island
- Weekend getaways
- Take a trip to Sorres Connecticut to try the Adventure Park where adventure is in the trees. This is a zip line park with many different trails and different skills. Ages seven to adult can do the trails. They even had a eighty- four year old person do the trails. Prices are reasonable and fun for the whole family.
- If you are looking for a little more adventure, you might want to try Brownstone Exploration. This park also has zip line, anything you can think of to do on water, climbing, water slides and children under twelve they have an obstacle course they can do. Located in Portland Connecticut.
- Take a trip to Maritime Aquarium in the Long Island Sound. Trips are taken year round on a cruise to experience animals in their natural habitat. They have hand on tanks and an IMAX theater.
- Kid City Children’s Museum located in Middle Town. They have a giant imagination playground with three levels of exploring. This museum is for children up to eight years old.
- Watch Hill in Westerly RI has a charming village with Antique carousel with a small beach and gentle surf.
- Right next to Watch hill is Misquamicut State Beach. This beach has a strip of many things to do, water slides, arcade, the beach and many more.
- Downtown Providence has so many things to do. You can visit RISD art museum, take a tour of historical Providence, gondola ride, water fire, and then take a walk over to the Children’s Museum where your child can explore and play.
- In Westerly RI is the fantastic umbrella company. There have little shops to look around in, and you can feed animals and visit with them.
- Spring Lake in Burriville RI brings you back in time. They have an old fashion arcade and a lake with slides, a nice beachfront, snack bar. It is not that far to spend a day relaxing.
- Take the train to the Boston Children’s Museum. It is less than a block away. Do not have to worry about parking, and the museum has three levels and so much to do, even adults enjoy it.
- How about trying to walk on water, take a trip down to Cape Cod where you can stand up and paddle. It feels like you are walking on water. If you have some balance then this is a fun sport to do for the day. Check them out at adventurechatham.com
- While in the Cape, go down to Hyannis, take a Whale Watcher Cruise, and maybe see a whale. This is sure to spark conversation.
- Coco Key Water Park is located in Connecticut and Massachusetts. This park has hotel and fun water activities for the whole family.
- Great Wolf Lodge in Massachusetts Similar to Coco key, but has theme rooms to stay with your family.
- Hike with the llamas, yes llamas in Central Mass Mount Holyoke Ranch. They really hike with you and your children. Best part they carry your stuff
- Stay at Tyler’s Place family Resort that is all-inclusive, this also includes all your water sports and activities, canoeing, water skiing, biking, indoor/outdoor pools.
- Similar to Tyler’s Place is Wild flower also located in Vermont.
- Looking for weekend adventure, stay at Sky Venture in Nashua NH state of the art vertical wind tunnel, just like flying.
Think outside the box this summer and have a blast!
Resources: Family road trips, travel