Authorities: Electrical failure caused deadly fire

LOWELL, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a Massachusetts apartment building fire that killed seven people was an accident caused by an electrical failure that began in a concealed space between two floors.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says the pre-dawn fire burned undetected for a long time Thursday in the void space before a rush of oxygen turned it into an inferno.

Coan says fireworks were in the building and detonated at some point but didn’t play a role in starting the blaze.

The cause was announced Tuesday during a news conference at a Lowell fire station located 100 yards from the scene of the blaze.

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan identified the victims as Torn Sak, his longtime girlfriend, Ellen Vuong, three of their five children, 38-year-old Tina Christakos and 72-year-old Robert Downs.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s