NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) – Thanks to the organization of a local blogger, a restaurant owner is receiving financial help after his home and his business were destroyed by a recent fire.
Nabih Moujabber and his family own the Lebanese Kitchen, a New Bedford restaurant located on Purchase Street. The restaurant caught fire July 11 and quickly spread throughout the entire building.
Moujabber and his family lived in an apartment unit directly above the restaurant.
“Thirty years of my life to build what I have, it went so fast, ” he said immediately after the fire. “Hopefully we can put everything back together, I’m a fighter.”
In an effort to help Moujabber and his family “put everything back together,” the owner and founder of local community website “The New Bedford Guide” organized an online fundraiser for the family. As of Thursday afternoon, it had raised nearly $10,000.
The week of the Lebanese Kitchen fire was particularly busy for New Bedford emergency crews, as – hours before flames broke out on Purchase Street – fire crews had already responded to F & B Rubberized – a rubber plant on Washburn Street.
The fire chief said both fires are still unexplained and under investigation.