PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – The state Department of Business Regulation (DBR) said Tuesday that the Providence Board of Licenses must make a decision on the future of an embattled Atwells Avenue bar that has been closed for more than a week following multiple violent incidents.
The Board of Licenses has scheduled a Thursday meeting to determine the future of The $3 Bar, which hasn’t opened following an early morning melee on Aug.26. A day later, 34-year-old Jonathan Stack died from injuries he received during a two-by-four beating in the bar’s parking lot.
The board voted last week to the keep the bar closed until a Superior Court judge rules on whether the embattled establishment should hand over video evidence from the Aug. 26 fight, but the DBR said it must rule on the matter.
If The $3 Bar is closed or has its license suspended, it is likely that the bar will appeal the decision.
- Related: Board of Licenses orders Federal Hill bar closed
- McGowan: Bar owner: “I’m a good law-abiding citizen”
The bar is owned by well-known restaurateur Gianfranco Marrocco, who also owns several other establishments on Federal Hill. His lawyer is Peter Petrarca, a former state representative who is also a business partner on some of Marracco’s other establishments.
The board voted to hold the bar in contempt because Marrocco declined to turn over video surveillance from the night of the incident. That decision will now be heard by a Superior Court judge, but it is unclear when the hearing will take place, according to board Chairwoman Johanna Harris.