Chef Kyle Stuart and Chef George Marley from Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Ocean State are in the Rhode Show kitchen making calamari.
- 1 cup sliced calamari rings
- Flour for breading (as needed)
- Salt & black pepper (as needed)
- 1/4 cup hot pickled banana pepper rings
- Oil for pan frying (as needed)
- 2 Tbs chiffonade basil
- 1 ea lemon
- Take 1 cup of calamari and pour into small strainer to dust with flour, then shake off excess flour. (This step is crucial to avoid sticking in the pan)
- Once the skillet is hot, add oil and wait for it to heat up.
- Add the calamari to the pan, be sure to tilt the pan forward while doing this to avoid splashing oil back at yourself. Add salt and pepper to season the calamari.
- With tongs, check a few pieces of calamari to see if it browned on one side. Once they all seemed to be browned flip the calamari.
- Now add the banana peppers to the pan and sauté. Move the tongs along the pan to keep the calamari from sticking to the pan.
- Squeeze the juice from 1/2 a lemon over the pan and continue to sauté, add fresh basil and plate with garnish. (Reserve other 1/2 of the lemon to slice for garnish)