PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – An embattled Federal Hill bar will remain closed for at least a few more days, as a hearing in front of a state panel ended without a decision.
The Providence Board of Licenses stripped The $3 Bar of its liquor license last Thursday, but Peter Petrarca – the bar’s attorney – is appealing the board’s decision. Petrarca and lawyers representing the city of Providence appeared in front of the state Department of Business Regulation (DBR) Tuesday afternoon.
Petrarca is arguing that The $3 Bar should be permitted to operate while the appeal process with the Board of Licenses is ongoing. Reiterating the arguments he made during the board’s meeting last week, Petrarca said the bar was not given a chance to present its case and implied the bar was being treated differently than other local businesses.
The board’s initial decision was made unanimously weeks after two separate violent incidents took place outside the bar’s front door.
- Related: Board of Licenses orders Federal Hill bar closed
- McGowan: Bar owner: “I’m a good law-abiding citizen”
- Reaction: $3 Bar owner apologizes for Taveras barb
On July 23, Jonathan Stack was sent to the hospital in critical condition after he was beaten with a two-by-four outside Atwells Avenue bar. Days later, more than 20 people were involved in a brawl outside the same establishment.
Stack died days after he was found bludgeoned, and Daniel Lastarza is being charged with murder in connection with the incident. Two women from Warwick were arrested as a result of the weekend brawl.
Lawyers for the city argued The $3 Bar posed a threat to the neighborhood’s public safety – saying a neighboring business had to shut down early the night of Stack’s death.
The DBR hearing officer did not hand down a decision on Tuesday. Petrarca said he expects a decision will be made within the next two days.