PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — More than 2 million bean bag chairs are being pulled from store shelves after two children suffocating by crawling inside of them.
The chairs, manufactured by Ace Bayou, have two zippers that can be opened, allowing for children to crawl inside, get trapped, and suffocate or choke on the foam beads.
A 13-year-old boy from Texas and a 3-year-old girl from Kentucky both died after suffocating from a lack of air and inhaling the beads. Both children were found inside the chairs.
The recalled chairs were sold nationwide and various retailers, including Walmart. There are voluntary standards in place that requires non-refillable bean bag chairs to have closed and permanently disabled zippers.
Consumers should check their bean bag chairs for any zippers than can open. If they can take them away from children immediately and contact the company for a free repair kit to permanently disable the zippers.