PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Providence police held a news conference Monday to address a violent weekend in the city – and Major David Lapatin said it appears the gun violence was gang-related.
Five shootings were reported in the city between early Sunday morning and Sunday night – leaving two victims with injuries.
Police are still searching for suspects after a man was shot three times in a drive-by shooting just before 9 p.m. on Pleasant Street. Earlier that morning, shots were fired near Fete Lounge, sending a 22-year-old man to the hospital.
“Club Fete we believe started inside and led outside. That’s why they were taken to the Licenses Board for an emergency hearing and closed until Wednesday,” said Lapatin.
Major Lapatin didn’t say if the victims themselves have ties to gangs. He said chatter between rival gangs gave no indication that the wave of violence was coming.
Police plan to step up patrols in the vicinity of the shootings – an area where they’ve had problems in the past.
“The task force will be on the road to supplement the patrol cars that are already assigned,” Lapatin added.
Lapatin said all three of the victims were taken to Rhode Island Hospital with serious, but not life-threatening injuries.