PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — Several residents are without a home Wednesday after firefighters battled flames inside of a three-story Pawtucket building for almost five hours overnight.
According to Pawtucket Fire Marshal Lt. Allen McVay, 32 firefighters battled the three-alarm fire that broke out inside of 457 Mineral Spring Avenue around 10:30 p.m. In total, 21 people – both adults and children – were left without a home. The American Red Cross is now assisting the families who were displaced.
Christina Mello, one of the home’s second floor tenants, said the fire sparked quickly.
“We were upstairs watching TV and before we knew it, the fire alarms were going off,” she said. “We were preparing to go to bed for work the next day and the neighbors knocked on the door and said there was a fire in the basement.”
No residents were injured in the fire, though three firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation and released from Memorial Hospital. Some family pets perished in the fire.
Firefighters worked for hours overnight to put out the fire, which was particularly hard to bring under control because flames raced from the basement and up the walls before pouring through the roof.
Streets surrounding the 400 block of Mineral Spring Avenue remain blocked off on Wednesday morning to allow crews to pump water out of the home’s basement. Fire officials plan to enter the basement later in the day to investigate the source of the fire.