Lawrence fire that killed 2 boys ruled accidental

An arson detection dog and investigator from the State Fire Marshal's office search through debris after an apartment fire in Lawrence, Mass., Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014. Two children died in the blaze. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

LAWRENCE, Mass. (AP) — The Massachusetts fire marshal says an apartment fire that killed two boys was an accident caused by an electrical wiring failure.

Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says the boys were found Tuesday in a third-floor bedroom at the back of the six-unit building in Lawrence.

The blaze was reported at about 3 a.m. Video showed flames shooting from the roof.

Coan says the fire started in a ceiling space and burned undetected before breaking through the rear of the building. The building had a hard-wired alarm system in common areas and battery-powered smoke alarms in the apartments.

Fire Chief John Marsh says a firefighter was injured trying to reach the boys. Officials haven’t released their names and ages.

Mayor Daniel Rivera says the city will help the affected families.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s