PROVIDENCE (WPRI) – Flames ripped through an apartment, sending smoke billowing into the streets.
The fire started after 7pm on Saturday at a home on Commodore Street, two of the six residents were home at the time.
Carmelo Contreras lives on the second floor. He says “I was watching TV upstairs and I hear screaming downstairs. When I came downstairs, everything was burning … I had to get out, it was too hot.” A woman who lives downstairs was also home at the time.
Contreras says flames filled the entire first floor, “The whole ceiling and everything was coming out. The flame was coming right out of the hallway.”
Teams of firefighters searched the home for hot spots; they also had to use a ladder to get to the roof as neighbors watched from the street. When Eyewitness News cameras arrived, smoke was billowing through the neighborhood.
Ryan Beeley is a neighbor who watched as firefighters worked to knock down the flames. “The whole street was full of smoke. You couldn’t even breathe. You couldn’t see the house from the steam smoke and the water. It was pretty bad.” says Beeley.
The family who lives at the home says the fire department showed up minutes after they called 911. Contreras says, “First thing I was thinking, was grab a hose and put it out, but it was too much.”
The family says everyone made it out safely.