PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — From hidden fees to fine print, a lot can go wrong during the holiday shopping season. The Consumer Protection Unit at the Attorney General’s Office recently released a list of tips to shop safely during the holidays.
To shop safely this holiday season, make sure to follow these tips:
- Bring advertisements with you to make sure prices match.
- Before making a purchase, ask about returns and restocking fees. Businesses that charge for restocking must disclose a fee.
- Watch the register to make sure the scanned price matches the price tag.
- Read the fine print, especially when it comes to warranties.
- And, check credit card statements often. By the time you receive your credit card bill in January, it could be too late.