Glocester restaurant damaged by fire

Firefighters outside a Glocester restaurant Sunday morning after a fire damaged the building. (Brian Yocono/WPRI)

GLOCESTER, R.I. (WPRI) – Fire damaged a popular Glocester restaurant Sunday morning.

Flames broke out at Snow’s Clam Box on Putnam Pike at about 5 a.m. Sunday. Neighbors told Eyewitness News that heavy smoke filled the air and flames were visible from the outside of the building.

West Glocester Fire Department Chief Chris Labutti said firefighters were able to get inside the restaurant within five minutes.

“It’s all one big open dining room from the bar all the way to the end,” Labutti said, “so once you gained access and vented the fire, and it pulled through, we were able to knock it down.”

Two people who live in an apartment above the restaurant were already out of the building when firefighters arrived.

Employees stood in the parking lot Sunday morning but declined to comment until they heard more from fire officials about what happened.

Chief Labutti said that despite extensive interior damage, the building was okay structurally.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s