Two hurt, two rescued in Taunton fire

Taunton firefighters responded to a fire on Smith Street Sunday morning. (Matt Lage/WPRI)

TAUNTON, Mass. (WPRI) – A man and his 8-month pregnant girlfriend were rescued from the roof of a burning home in Taunton on Sunday morning.

According to Taunton firefighters, the fire broke out at 25 Smith Street at about 8:15 a.m. When crews arrived, there was fire visible from a first-floor bedroom window.

Two people who live on the second floor of the three-story home were standing on the roof of the porch and were rescued via a ladder. The first-floor tenant was standing outside when firefighters got there.

Several neighbors and an off-duty firefighter from another town were on hand to help.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott Dexter said that the fire spread upwards along the front of the building and got into the attic, causing extensive damage.

The first-floor tenant was hospitalized for treatment of burns and smoke inhalation, and the third-floor tenant was also transported. Their injuries are not life-threatening, Dexter said. No firefighters were injured.

Investigators believe that the fire started in the first-floor bedroom but have not yet determined the cause.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s