Boston officials discuss New Year’s preparations

This Dec. 31, 2013, file photo shows marchers making their way down Boylston Street during a parade as part of New Year's Eve celebrations in Boston. City and state officials will talk about safety preparations for Boston's annual New Year's Eve celebration as protesters plan to hold a demonstration against recent police killings of unarmed black men and boys. Boston Mayor Martin Walsh, Police Commissioner William Evans and other officials will discuss the preparations at City Hall on Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014. Activists have promised to stage a "die-in" at Copley Square near some of the New Year’s Eve activities. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer, File)

BOSTON (AP) — Boston’s mayor and police commissioner are urging activists to hold off on a planned “die in” during the city’s annual New Year’s Eve festivities.

Mayor Marty Walsh and Commissioner William Evans said Tuesday that the city would honor the protesters’ right to demonstrate but that the family-friendly First Night event is not the proper venue to address recent police killings of unarmed black men and boys in the U.S.

Walsh and Evans also discussed an assault on two Boston police officers Monday by a group of teens after they had tried to serve a warrant in Roxbury.

Walsh stressed the assault was not related to rising tensions across the country over police violence. Evans said the officers, who had been hospitalized, are “pretty banged up” but are recovering.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s