Lit cigarette leads to Taunton house fire

TAUNTON, Mass. (WPRI) – Fire officials say they now know the exact cause of a Sunday morning house fire in Taunton.

According to the Taunton Gazette, careless smoking is being blamed for the fire that broke out at 25 Smith Street at about 8:15 a.m.

Taunton Fire Captain Robert Bastis said that a resident on the first floor fell asleep with a lit cigarette, sparking a fire that caused $100,000 worth of damage and melted the vinyl siding of a neighboring home.

Investigators say the man who had fell asleep with the cigarette in hand suffered significant burns as he attempted to put out the fire himself.

A man and his 8-month pregnant girlfriend had to be rescued from the roof of the burning home by firefighter.

Everyone else inside the building was able to escape safely.

The fire has been ruled accidental.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s