SEEKONK, Mass. (WPRI) — A Seekonk man is without a home after flames tore through his on the first day of the year.
According to Seekonk Fire Chief Michael Healy, the fire started at about 9 a.m. at a home on Taunton Avenue.
The elderly man was cooking when suddenly he smelled smoke. He was the only person in the home at the time, and was able to get out safely.
The man told Eyewitness News he’s certain the fire started because he left a burner on. He said he’s lived at the home for decades, and was visibly upset from losing everything.
The fast-moving fire caused some trouble for firefighters amid the windy conditions and frigid temperatures.
“The cold weather does take its toll,” said Healey. “We’ve got the rehab unit here for the guys to get something to eat, warm up a little bit, before they have to go back in.”
The Red Cross is now assisting the man with basic needs.