Official warns of fire, carbon monoxide danger in storm

Important Tips: Power Outage Safety >>

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. (AP) — If the lights go out during the storm, the Massachusetts fire marshal says people should take care not to make a bad situation worse.

Stephen Coan said Monday that alternative forms of lighting and cooking during power outages can lead to fires or carbon monoxide exposure.

Coan urged residents to check their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working, and also charge cellphones and other electronic devices before the brunt of the storm hits.

Important Tips: Power Outage Safety >>
Storm Tips: Power Outage Safety >>

He says generators should never be operated inside a home or a garage.

If the snowfall is deep enough, Coan says some homeowners may need to go outside and clear heating exhaust ducts of snow, since some exhaust pipes are only 2 to 2 1/2 feet above ground.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s