Officials identify cause of fire at a transitional home

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — Officials are investigating a fire at a transitional living home.

The fire broke out around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday night at a home on 12 Manchester Street in Pawtucket.

The city fire marshal said it started while a resident was grilling hamburgers on a flat top grill in the kitchen.

The grill was too close to the wall, which then caught fire.

The Manchester House is a faith-based transitional house that provides housing and support to homeless vets and civilians with substance abuse problems.

The director of the Manchester House said they were in a meeting when the fire started.

“I was not expecting it to happen, no,” said Rev. Daniel Crenca. “We were actually in a meeting in a group preparing for our Saturday night recovery service at Living Hope and we were preparing for that. They were singing a song that a couple of them have written. We saw the smoke and all of this happened.”

The building inspector determined that the house was safe and all 30 residents were allowed to go back inside.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s