PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WPRI) — Firefighters are working to douse flames at a pair of triple-deckers on Melton Street in Pawtucket.
The fire broke out in one of the triple-deckers at about 8:30 p.m. Monday and spread to the neighboring building.
Residents of the main building told us four families live there, and that the second one is vacant.
One of the tenants, James Occeus, Jr., said he arrived home to find the first floor on fire.
“I’m devastated. I don’t know exactly what to do about my situation, I just feel like everything’s at a loss,” he said. “We’ve been struggling to try to build up from nothing, and we lose everything again.”
Another resident ran out of the apartment without shoes on, since her main concern was getting herself and her husband to safety.
“He had a stroke last year, so he’s confined to a wheelchair,” said Melinda Fournier. “Once I found out the house was on fire, I had to just get him out of the house.”
Crews were able to save a dog named Bully from the home next door.
There was a call for firefighters to evacuate the building at about 8:50 p.m.
So far no word on any injuries.
The Red Cross arrived on scene to assist the victims.