Hours-long standoff in Riverside ends peacefully

Members of the East Providence Police Department SWAT team outside a home on North Street Friday afternoon during a standoff. (Dave Wiggins/WPRI)

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) – A city man who had barricaded himself inside his Riverside home for hours surrendered peacefully to police Friday night.

East Providence Police Chief Christopher Parella said that the man’s parents, who also live at the North Street home, called police a few minutes after 1 p.m. because he was armed and suicidal. The 33 year-old man fired a shot before police arrived, striking himself in the leg. The injury was not serious, Parella said, but it’s not clear if the shot was intentional or accidental.

Responding officers got the man’s parents out of the house safely and determined that he was the only other person inside. Police then called for a SWAT team, evacuated several nearby homes, closed off roads in the area and had one of the department’s detectives begin negotiating with him.

Parella said that the man never threatened his parents or police officers, and was on the verge of surrendering several times, but changed his mind each time.

He eventually surrendered peacefully at about 9:45 Friday night.

Police did not fire any shots, Parella said. The man does not have a criminal history with the department and Parella said that he did not believe any criminal charges would be filed against him.

The Providence Police Department sent some of its SWAT officers, at Parella’s request, to relieve the East Providence SWAT team at about 9 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s