We’re making Summer Tuna Tartare with Fresh Tangerine + Serrano Mojo with Chef Julio Lazzarini of RED FIN Crudo and Kitchen.
1.5 lbs Ahi tuna (purchased at Whole Foods or any specialty fish market)
2 limes (zest one and juice 2)
3 tablespoons grape seed oil
12 tangerines (juice 10 and segment 2)
2 Serrano chilies (finely dice)
3 shallots (minced)
3 teaspoons of chives (finely dice)
1 red bell pepper (deseeded + small diced)
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 Tablespoon cilantro
2 Teaspoons of ground cumin
Garnish of radish (matchstick)
Salt + Pepper to taste
Tips: Have a well-sharpened knife. Allow mojo to marry. Serve in chilled bowl.
- Cut the tuna into 1/4-inch dice and place it in a very large bowl. Lightly dress tuna with oil, lime zest, salt + pepper. Keep cold.
- Juice tangerines, reduce liquid over medium heat to half. Allow to cool.
- Segment remaining 2 tangerines. Put aside.
- Mix reduced tangerine juice, lime zest, grape seed oil, chilies, shallots, chives, red bell pepper, parsley, cilantro, ground cumin, salt + pepper. Allow to marry. This is the Mojo.
- Gently fold in tangerine segments and tuna into mixture.
Place ring mold in cold bowl. Place 2-3 spoonfuls of Mojo, add tuna to the top of that. Gently apply pressure. Remove ring mold. Garnish with radish matchsticks and micro cilantro.