MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (WPRI) — A Middletown resident who raises doves will have to rebuild the birds’ living quarters following a fire Thursday afternoon.
Fire crews responded to Third Beach Road around 3:45 p.m. to find heavy flames coming from two buildings, while a third had already been destroyed.
Middletown Fire Chief Ron Doire said the homeowner was trying to put out the fire with a garden hose prior to their arrival.
There were doves inside one of the buildings during the fire, but firefighters were able to get them all out safely.
Doire said it appears as though the homeowner was burning paper in a barrel and sparks hit brush nearby, which then caused the buildings to catch fire.
The chief said all of the structures will likely have to be destroyed.
There were no injuries to firefighters or the homeowner.