CRANSTON, R.I. (WPRI) — A Cranston man has been sentenced for child molestation, Attorney General Peter Kilmartin said Monday.
According to a news release, David Pope, age 50, pleaded no contest to one count of first degree child molestation — and was sentenced to 30 years with 10 to serve. The remainder of his sentence will be suspended with probation.
If the case had gone to trial, prosecutors said they were prepared to prove that Pope had an inappropriate relationship with a minor that he had known previously.
Officials said Pope was ordered to have no contact with the victim. He will also have to undergo sex offender counseling, and is subject to life-long community notification, registration, and GPS monitoring, according to Kilmartin’s office.
“Child molestation cases, especially those perpetrated at the hands of someone in a position of trust, are possibly the most difficult cases to prosecute. The emotional toll on all involved is tremendous. Yet, throughout the prosecution of such a case, it is often the resiliency and strength of the victims that provide the police, prosecutors and victim advocates with the determination and drive to continue the fight in getting justice for the victims,” said Kilmartin.
Pope was granted a stay of execution until June 15 — he will then be moved to the ACI.