Arrest report: Protest defendant spit and swore at officers before pepper spray

PROVIDENCE, RI (WPRI) — A defendant from the protest that shut down Interstate 95 allegedly kicked, spit and swore at courthouse deputies before he was pepper-sprayed during a confrontation, Target 12 has learned.

Cameron Battle was in Superior Court Wednesday morning for a pre-trial conference on a disorderly conduct charge stemming from the November march onto 95, prompted by the decision not to indict a Ferguson, Missouri police officer for shooting a teenager. Battle was one of five arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for blocking 95.

Two deputies were treated and released after being exposed to the pepper spray. Police said battle refused treatment.

According to the Rhode Island State Police arrest report, Justice Rodgers asked deputies to quiet a crowd in the hallway outside courtroom 4. The report states everyone moved except Battle, who at one point yelled, “[Expletive] you. I am not moving.”

Investigators said Battle was advised that he’d be arrested if he didn’t move, but he responded with another expletive. Then, according to the report, as deputies tried to cuff Battle, he kicked, and screamed more expletives, at one point yelling, “[Expletive] you. Get your hands off of me.”

A short time later, according to the report, Battle was sprayed in the face with pepper spray. Moments after that, Battle allegedly used his leg to strike a deputy in his knee and hip, according to the report.

Investigators claim Battle continued to resist arrest as he was taken away and that he was spitting at officers once he was in custody. After state police restrained him, the report states Battle yelled “[Expletive] you! I ain’t no slave.”

Battle was already awaiting trial on the disorderly conduct charge from the protest, and now faces assault on a police officer injury resulting, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct for the courthouse confrontation. Battle was ordered held on $5,000 dollars bail in connection with the courthouse case, and is due back in court in July.

Target 12 reached out to Battle’s attorney to find out what might have provoked him, but so far no comment has been returned.

Send tips to Target 12 Investigator Walt Buteau at wbuteau@wpri.com and follow him on Twitter @wbuteau.

Comments are closed.