PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The United States has ordered increased security and vigilance at military recruiting centers across the country in the wake of last week’s shooting rampage in Tennessee.
For security reasons, military leaders are not going into detail about the orders they’ve made, but said new “force protection measures” will be in place. Four Marines and one Navy sailor were killed when 24-year-old Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez opened fire Thursday at two military sites in Chattanooga.
At least half a dozen governors have even gone further than the military’s order can, ordering National Guardsmen to protect recruiting offices, which don’t typically have armed service members on hand.
Gov. Gina Raimondo said she’s directed the Rhode Island National Guard’s new Adjutant Gen. Christopher Callahan to review security procedures.
“I’ll be working with him to see if any changes are merited,” she said Tuesday. “We need to keep people safe, certainly people who are serving this country.”
“No one should have to die, especially on military grounds,” said Wyatt Laprade, who was enlisting Tuesday at a recruiting center in Providence.
Laprade, of Scituate, said he wasn’t concerned about security when he walked into the center, which is the same type of facility targeted in Chattanooga.
Gov. Raimondo ordered flags lowered to half-staff to honor those victims.