TV Maitre d’ Joe Zito and Chef John Granata of the Post Office Cafe joined The Rhode Show on Thursday to show us how to make Baked Stuffed 8 Ball Zucchini.
6 each 8 ball zucchini (softball size)
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. hot Italian sausage (casing removed)
2 garlic cloves (chopped)
1 lg. native tomato (diced)
1 small sweet onion (diced)
4 lg. basil leaves
1 cup bread crumbs
½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut tops of zucchinis off and hollow out pulp and seeds, save pulp.
- In a large sauté pan on medium heat, cook sausage meat until just cooked. Add onions and sauté until onions start to wilt. Add zucchini meat. Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Next add tomatoes and tear basil into pan. Stir everything together and transfer to a large bowl. Add bread crumbs, cheese and salt and pepper.
- Fill the zucchinis with the stuffing mix. Place the stuffed zucchini in a lightly oiled casserole dish. Place the cut tops next to them.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with fresh tomato sauce or all alone.