In the kitchen we’re making french vanilla bean ice cream with Susanna Williams, the woman behind Susanna’s ice cream.
Makes one quart
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds into a small non-reactive saucepan. Add vanilla bean.
- Add the cream, half-and-half, and sugar, and warm until the sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk egg yolks gently to break them up, add three or four tablespoons of the warmed cream mixture, and stir. Then add this mixture to the warm cream, stirring continuously.
- Heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon or reaches 175° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl through a fine sieve, removing the vanilla bean, and chill for several hours, preferably overnight. Add vanilla bean back into custard. Remove the vanilla bean before freezing.
- Freeze according to the directions for your ice-cream maker.