In the Rhode Show kitchen Discover Newport has brought us Chef Agnieszka Richard from Pier 49 Seafood and Spirits to make Stuffed Quahogs.
- 8 large quahog clams
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped chourico
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup diced green and red pepper
- 3 lemons for fresh lemon juice and reserve one lemon for lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
- 6 slices sweet bread (small cubes)
- 1 3/4 cups crushed Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large pot bring 2 inches of water to boil. Add quahogs and cover. Steam until the quahogs open about 6-8 min. If any quahogs will not open immediately discard it.
- Reserve ¼ cup of strained broth. Remove the clam meat and chop it. Try not to snap the clam shell apart.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter adding chourico, onion and peppers for about 6 minutes. Add chopped clam meat, lemon juice and zest, hot sauce and cook for additional 3min.
- Place the cubed bread and Ritz crackers in a large mixing bowl, pour in the clam mixture and remaining ingredients mix together and stuff each clam shell with about ¾ cup of the stuffing.
- Wrap the clams in aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 10-12 min serve immediately.