We’re making Chicken Surprise Packages with Chef Mary Weaver of Newport Cooks Cooking School for Adults & Children.
6 – 8 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
2 – 3 small new or rainbow colored potatoes, cut into 1/2” slices
salt and pepper
6 – 8 green beans, string and leave whole
3 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 medium carrot, cut into thin julienne strips
1 – 2 scallions, white and tender green, cut into lengthwise strips
3 quarter-sized slices fresh ginger, cut into very thin julienne strips
splash of white wine (optional)
fresh herbs (parsley, chives, cilantro, etc.) rough chopped
2 lemon slices – 1/8” thick, full round with peel left on
salt & pepper, to taste
1) Preheat oven to 425°
2) Oil a baking sheet and lay out potato slices in a single layer. Salt and pepper to taste and toss them to cover with oil, salt & pepper. Roast for 10 minutes, turning once and set aside.
3) Cut an 18” square piece of parchment paper and fold in half. Open it up. On one half, place the chicken and rub it with oil, salt and pepper. Place chicken against the folded edge. Pile zucchini, carrots, scallion and ginger on top of the fish, salt lightly. Splash with wine to lightly bathe chicken (optional). Arrange roasted potatoes around 3 edges of chicken. Top with lemon rounds and sprinkle with chopped herbs.
4) Close the package by folding top over everything and fold edges up, pleated style, to form a half moon shape. If package doesn’t seal properly, use a binder clip or paper clip to hold it closed.
5) Place on a baking sheet and bake for ~ 25 minutes. Carefully unwrap package and test chicken for doneness. (center should read 160°) If your chicken is thick it may take a few more minutes to cook.
6) Place closed packages on a plate and serve.
Use Fish instead of chicken (cook approximately 12 minutes)
Use fresh seasonal vegetables (zucchini, pre-roasted eggplant, asparagus, broccoli, etc.)
Or, use frozen vegetables and dried herbs in a pinch!