According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, school buses are 23 times safer than passenger cars and 10 times safer than walking.
Brendan Kirby was live during Friday’s Rhode Show at First Student in Providence, scoping out some of the safety features on your little one’s ride to school.
Some facts about First Student:
- School buses transport 25 million students nationwide each day.
- First Student moves more passengers per day than all U.S. airlines combined.
- Six million student journeys each day
- 500 locations across North America
- 57,000 employees
- First Student has partnered with the Providence Public School District for more than 40 years to provide safe and reliable transportation to nearly 10,000 students each school day.
- First Student is the only school transportation company in the industry to be awarded the coveted National Safety Council Green Cross for Safety® medal, the highest award for safety in North America.
- Each year, First Student drivers travel 611 million miles. That’s more than 2,500 trips to the moon!
Many students get to school on those big yellow school buses, others on RIPTA buses. Here’s a list of the 2014-15 bus routes by school district: 2014-15 Bus Routes