Discover Newport brought us Chef Allison Wilke from Brix Restaurant at Newport Vineyards to make Mussels SoFrito.
- cleaned mussels
- 2 tsp of chopped garlic
- 1 tbs of chopped shallot or onion
- 1/3 cup of sofrito (onions, peppers, chopped carrots and roasted with tomato paste and spices, or store bought)
- 2 tbs of butter
- 2 tbs of roughly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbs of sliced basil
- 1/4 cup of marinara
- canola oil
- salt and pepper
- bread for dipping
- Heat oil in a skillet, add garlic, shallots, sofrito, 1 Tbs butter, and 1 Tbs of each herb. Toast until garlic is golden brown
- Add cleaned mussels and season with salt and pepper- toss to coat.
- Deglaze with white wine and cover
- Add stock and marinara and cover
- Cook until mussels have opened and sauce has reduced. Finish with remaining 1 Tbs butter and basil, taste sauce and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with remaining Tbs of cilantro and use crusty bread for dipping