Holly Vine, of Holly Likes to Cook, joined The Rhode Show Friday to show us how to make Slow Cooker Beef Ragu.
Bottom round roast cut of beef 2 – 2.5lb
1 red onion
3 large cloves of garlic
28oz crushed tomatoes
1 glass red wine, about 200ml
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1) Heat a heavy frying pan on a high heat, brown each side of the meat really well, paying special attention to the fat side.
2) Finely slice the onions and garlic, lay them in a layer at the bottom of the slow cooker.
3) When the beef is browned all over, remove it from the pan and place it on top of the onions. Turn off the heat under the frying pan then pour in the red wine. It will sizzle, this will help burn off some of the alcohol content quickly before it mellows in the slow cooker.
4) Mix the canned tomatoes, reduced wine, herbs and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper together then pour over the beef in the slow cooker.
5) Place the lid on the slow cooker and set to cook on LOW for 10 hours.
6) The finished ragu can be served as it is, over parmesan polenta or pasta; or enhanced with beans and spices to make a rustic chili; layered with pasta sheets and béchamel for a lasagna; or mixed with vegetables and topped with potatoes to make a hearty cottage pie.