Memphis teen killed in Tennessee State shooting

(Photo: WKRN)

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Memphis teen was killed and three students were injured in a shooting on Tennessee State University’s campus late Thursday night, our sister station WKRN reports.

Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said the shooting, which took place in a courtyard behind the Floyd-Payne Campus Center around 11 p.m., happened after a dispute over a dice game.

Aaron said as the argument progressed, it led to a fist fight and “suddenly shots were fired.”

Cameron Selmon, 19, was killed. He was not a student at the university.

Three female students who were walking in the area at the time of the shooting were injured by stray bullets.

Police reported two of them were transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center but have since been released. The third injured victim did not need treatment.

Information regarding a suspect, who fled the scene after the shooting, wasn’t immediately released.

Authorities said several students recorded the incident on their cell phones, some of whom left before police arrived. They’re now urging any students with video of the fight or shooting to contact them at 615-862-8600 or Crime Stoppers at 615-74-CRIME.

TSU President Glenda Glover released a statement Friday afternoon, saying their campus “was the setting for this heinous crime.”

“It is important that you share what you know with authorities. I am so very proud of the manner in which our students conducted themselves throughout this tragic ordeal,” she added. “I’m also very appreciative of those that have already shared information and ask others to step forward as well.”

In light of the shooting, Glover said all students must wear their TSU-issued student ID while on campus.

“It must be visible at all time,” she said. “This is a requirement.”

“This incident presents us with a challenge that I am confident we will overcome as a family,” Glover concluded. “I ask you to continue to pray for our three students and their families and for the entire TSU student body during this time.”

The university resumed its normal schedule of operations Friday, including all activities. A school official told News 2 classes are scheduled Monday through Thursday, and there are never any on Fridays.

Further details have yet to be released. The investigation is ongoing.

Comments are closed.