EXETER, R.I. (WPRI) — An electrical short appears to be to blame for an emergency inside an Exeter Dunkin’ Donuts.
Crews were called to the to the South County Trail restaurant Wednesday around 8:45 a.m.
According to Exeter Fire Chief David Chamberlain, six people – all employees – were transported to the hospital. He said the workers were complaining of respiratory issues and headaches.
While the call initially came in as a fire, the chief told Eyewitness News an electrical element shorted out in one of the quick cook ovens, sending smoke into the restaurant. He said there was no fire.
Chamberlain said the building was closed for health and electrical inspections. However, it reopened just before noon.